- a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.Synonyms: foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm. Antonyms: courage, security, calm, intrepidity.
- a specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights. Synonyms:phobia, aversion; bête noire, bogy, bogey, bugbear. Antonyms: liking, fondness, penchant, predilection.
- concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone's safety.
- reverential awe, especially toward God: the fear of God. Synonyms: awe, respect, reverence, veneration.
- something that causes feelings of dread or apprehension; something a person is afraid of:Cancer is a common fear.