- the principle of conscious life; the vital principle in humans, animating the body or mediating between body and soul.
- the incorporeal part of humans: present in spirit though absent in body.
- the soul regarded as separating from the body at death.
- conscious, incorporeal being, as opposed to matter: the world of spirit.
- a supernatural, incorporeal being, especially one inhabiting a place, object, etc., or having a particular character: evil spirits.
- a fairy, sprite, or elf.
- an angel or demon.
- an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action: the spirit of reform.