- mental process of a person who comprehends; comprehension; personal interpretation: My understanding of the word does not agree with yours.
- intellectual faculties; intelligence; mind: a quick understanding.
- superior power of discernment; enlightened intelligence: With her keen understanding she should have become a leader.
- knowledge of or familiarity with a particular thing; skill in dealing with or handling something: an understanding of accounting practice.
- a state of cooperative or mutually tolerant relations between people: To him, understanding and goodwill were the supreme virtues.
- a mutual agreement, especially of a private, unannounced, or tacit kind: They had an understanding about who would do the dishes.
- an agreement regulating joint activity or settling differences, often informal or preliminary in character: After hours of negotiation, no understanding on a new contract was reached.