- to deprive of life in any manner; cause the death of; slay. Synonyms: slaughter, massacre, butcher; hang, electrocute, behead, guillotine, strangle, garrote; assassinate.
- to destroy; do away with; extinguish: His response killed our hopes.
- to destroy or neutralize the active qualities of: to kill an odor.
- to spoil the effect of: His extra brushwork killed the painting.
- to cause (time) to be consumed with seeming rapidity or with a minimum of boredom, especially by engaging in some easy activity or amusement of passing interest: I had to kill three hours before plane time.
- to spend (time) unprofitably: He killed ten good years on that job.
- Informal. to overcome completely or with irresistible effect: That comedian kills me.
- to muffle or deaden: This carpet kills the sound of footsteps.