- alleviation, ease, or deliverance through the removal of pain, distress, oppression, etc.
- a means or thing that relieves pain, distress, anxiety, etc.
- money, food, or other help given to those in poverty or need.
- something affording a pleasing change, as from monotony.
- release from a post of duty, as by the arrival of a substitute or replacement.
- the person or persons acting as replacement.
- the rescue of a besieged town, fort, etc., from an attacking force.
- the freeing of a closed space, as a tank or boiler, from more than a desirable amount of pressure or vacuum.
- Feudal Law. a fine or composition which the heir of a feudal tenant paid to the lord for the privilege of succeeding to the estate