- of no special quality or interest; commonplace; unexceptional: One novel is brilliant, the other is decidedly ordinary; an ordinary person.
- plain or undistinguished: ordinary clothes.
- somewhat inferior or below average; mediocre.
- customary; usual; normal: We plan to do the ordinary things this weekend.
- Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. common, vulgar, or disreputable.
- (of jurisdiction) immediate, as contrasted with something that is delegated.
- (of officials) belonging to the regular staff or the fully recognized class.
—noun, plural or·di·nar·ies.
- the commonplace or average condition, degree, etc.: ability far above the ordinary.
- something regular, customary, or usual.