- the activities or business of a publisher, especially of books or periodicals: He plans to go into publishing after college.
—verb (used with object)
- to issue (printed or otherwise reproduced textual or graphic material, computer software, etc.) for sale or distribution to the public.
- to issue publicly the work of: Random House publishes Faulkner.
- to announce formally or officially; proclaim; promulgate.
- to make publicly or generally known.
- Law. to communicate (a defamatory statement) to some person or persons other than the person defamed.
—verb (used without object)
- to issue newspapers, books, computer software, etc.; engage in publishing: The new house will start to publish next month.
- to have one's work published: She has decided to publish with another house.