- arrived at or determined by mathematical calculation; ascertained mathematically.
- carefully thought out or planned: a calculated effort.
- calculate2— verb (used with object), cal·cu·lat·ed, cal·cu·lat·ing.
- to determine or ascertain by mathematical methods; compute: to calculate the velocity of light.
- to determine by reasoning, common sense, or practical experience; estimate; evaluate; gauge.
- to make suitable or fit for a purpose; adapt (usually used passively and with an infinitive): His remarks were calculated to inspire our confidence.
- Chiefly Northern U.S.
- to think; guess.
- to intend; plan.
— verb (used without object), cal·cu·lat·ed, cal·cu·lat·ing.
- to make a computation or form an estimate.
- to count or rely (usually followed by on or upon ): They calculated on good weather.