- fierce, ferocious, or cruel; untamed: savage beasts.
- uncivilized; barbarous: savage tribes.
- enraged or furiously angry, as a person.
- unpolished; rude: savage manners.
- wild or rugged, as country or scenery: savage wilderness.
- Archaic. uncultivated; growing wild.
- an uncivilized human being.
- a fierce, brutal, or cruel person.
- a rude, boorish person.
- a member of a preliterate society.
— verb (used with object), sav·aged, sav·ag·ing.
- to assault and maul by biting, rending, goring, etc.; tear at or mutilate: numerous sheep savaged by dogs.
- to attack or criticize thoroughly or remorselessly; excoriate: a play savaged by the critics