- the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
- that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
- a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.
- development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
- the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.
- Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.
- the cultivation of microorganisms, as bacteria, or of tissues, for scientific study, medicinal use, etc.
- the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.
- the act or practice of cultivating the soil; tillage.
- the raising of plants or animals, especially with a view to their improvement.
- the product or growth resulting from such cultivation