- aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
- fully aware of or sensitive to something (often followed by of ): conscious of one's own faults; He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past.
- having the mental faculties fully active: He was conscious during the operation.
- known to oneself; felt: conscious guilt.
- aware of what one is doing: a conscious liar.
- aware of oneself; self-conscious.
- deliberate; intentional: a conscious insult; a conscious effort.
- acutely aware of or concerned about: money-conscious; a diet-conscious society.
- Obsolete. inwardly sensible of wrongdoing.
- the conscious, Psychoanalysis. the part of the mind comprising psychic material of which the individual is aware.